Thursday, October 7, 2010

buttercup squash soup

Our vegetable garden produced two buttercup squashes for us.  I happen to absolutely love squash, so I was determined to come up with good ways to use them.  When the weather started getting cool, I knew a squash soup would be perfect.


I found a great recipe on foodnetwork.com for the soup.  I like going to the Food Network's website when I want to find a recipe that's not super complicated and also, therefore, not very expensive to make.


I forgot to take pictures during the cooking process, so you'll just have to believe me when I say that it was really easy to make. 



Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3/4 cup coarsely chopped onion
  • 2 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
  • 1 potato, peeled and coarsely chopped
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded coarsely chopped
  • 1 buttercup squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
  • 4 cups chicken stock or water
  • 1/2 cup cream
  • Salt and pepper
  • Sliced scallion and diced red pepper, for garnish

Directions

In a large pot, melt butter and cook onions until tender. Stir in carrots and jalapeno and toss to coat. Stir in chopped squash. Pour in chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes until vegetables are tender. Puree soup in blender in batches. Return to pot and stir in cream. Season to taste and garnish with sliced scallion.

1 comment:

  1. Its such as you learn my thoughts! You appear to know so much approximately this, such as you wrote the guide in it or something. I believe that you simply can do with some p.c. to force the message home a little bit, however instead of that, that is magnificent blog. A fantastic read. I will definitely be back.

    ReplyDelete