Monday, October 18, 2010

a trip to machias

Last week, we finally got our trip to Machias.  Machias is about 3 hours north of us and is where my aunt and uncle live.  I was especially excited to go up there because my cousin's wife had a baby, Finnegan, about 6 months ago and I had yet to meet him.


The new (ish) suspension bridge in Bucksport. 


Baby Finn, Mandy and Patrick

Finn is the cutest, most well-behaved little boy ever.  Seriously. I'm pretty sure I never heard him cry.  He's been sleeping through the night for awhile now.  He is starting to eat solid foods and loved mac and cheese.  Obviously, a kid after a piece of my heart. 


We went on a hike along an oceanside trail in Cutler.  The sun was just about to set and the woods smelled so wonderful. 


Cutler's harbor


This tree had a really interesting bend in its trunk.  Patrick said that people who are trying to mark their own trail will take a sapling and tie it somehow so it is unnaturally forced out into the trail.  Then, when the saplings grow and are untied, they often have funny kinks in them like this tree.




The sunset was so gorgeous here.  Everything looked pink-ish purple.  When we left the hiking trail and went back to my aunt's lake house, we could see the sunset from another angle and it looked almost yellow and green.  The landscape around Machias is really gorgeous. 


Dan and I got to spend the night at my aunt's lake house.  When we got up in the morning, we had gorgeous views out over a serene lake.  The foliage is almost past peak in Machias, but around the lake it was still quite vibrant. 


We went back to town and visited my aunt and her chickens.  


Before we left, we got to walk the beach at Roque Bluffs. It was such a beautiful day that with the sun shining it was warm enough to walk barefoot along the sandy beach.  


And then we were off!  The trip was too quick, but it was great to see everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment