Tuesday, May 18, 2010

goodbye, green

Today, we're finishing priming in the green room.  Soon, we'll have to come up with another name for it.  I'm so excited...it feels like we're finally making some progress.  I guess our destruction phase is coming to an end (thank God) and now it's time to get everything back into working order.  It feels so good.

Here are a few glimpses of the last patches of green:




These are the spots where my dad put sheetrock joint compound on the walls.  Yes, I admit, I had to look at the bucket of joint compound to remember what it's called.  BUT, I have learned a lot about all of this construction/destruction stuff.  I mean, before this I had no clue.  A total renovation virgin.  I had never painted a room before, never sanded anything outside of shop class in middle school.  I had to learn everything: what different grits on sandpaper were (that grits were something other than food), how to peel off old wallpaper, how to attach sandpaper to that nifty little hand held thing, what a phillips head screwdriver was.  (jk, i already knew that one, come on guys).  I even considered writing a blog post (and maybe still will) entitled "my new, new best friend: spackling compound."  I mean seriously, that stuff is amazing and potentially puts magic erasers to shame.  One of my favorite things we've done so far is laying painter's tape.  I felt so professional! Sad, but true.  


This corner is actually covered in the sheetrock joint compound. This is where the layers of wallpaper weren't faring well at all, and had to be removed.  Slash, it was really fun to pull them off in sheets...until they wouldn't pull off in sheets anymore.  Then, it wasn't so much fun. So, my wonderful father has patched it up nicely and it's a smooth as a baby's bottom and ready to be painted!


This picture is of the door.  I guess you could probably figure that one out on your own...anyway... Since we removed all of the hardware on everything (using mostly flat head screwdrivers, I'll have you know), we keep getting locked into rooms without doorknobs.  Alright, that sentence isn't really fair.  I keep getting locked into rooms without doorknobs and yelling for Dan to come save me. So now almost every room has a knob in it, which is transferred from door to door depending on where we need to go.  Phew.

No comments:

Post a Comment