Sunday, May 2, 2010

success!

This morning, Dan and I made breakfast for my mom, dad, and Tom, a friend of my aunt who is helping us with some carpentry work...specifically getting a leaky old oil tank out of the basement, which is much more tricky than you'd think. ANYWAY, we did a good job!  (Sorry, there aren't any pics since Dan's camera is lost in the abyss that is our living room.)

For the first course, we made a raspberry plum cobbler and served it with a dollop of Greek yogurt on top.  My parents liked it, but I think the plums taste like prunes once cooked.  Ew.  I'd probably make it with a different fruit next time...maybe apples, peaches or pears.   I would also add cinnamon, nutmeg and maybe some oats to the topping to give it a bit more umph (is that a word?).

For the main course, we made eggs Benedict.  They were a resounding success!!!!  However, not without some slight mishaps: some of the yolks were a little overdone.  I thought the English muffins would be ready, but forgot to plug in the toaster (idiot), so the eggs ended up staying on the warm burner for a bit too long.  But, I have now figured out the timing and after another practice round or two, I'm pretty sure I'll feel comfortable asking guests how runny they want their yolks.  Maybe this is opening up a whole can of worms that I don't want to be dealing with?  I made good hollandaise sauce too! I realized with this new technique, I can make it first thing and just mix it up again right before I put it on the eggs.  That way I am free to focus on egg poaching (with our poacher, so I'm cheating, but I LOVE it!) and English muffin toasting.  Oh I'm so happy :)

Dan made fresh orange juice, too.  Muy delicioso.  I don't even usually like orange juice.  (Yes, you're probably asking yourself what on earth I'm doing running a bed and breakfast if I don't like orange juice, eggs, or maple syrup...unfortunately, I don't have a good answer for you.)  But fresh squeezed orange juice is so much better than the stuff you buy in the grocery store.  This breakfast has rejuvenated me for another day of cleaning!  Off I go...

1 comment:

  1. I love it! look forward to seeing the house and both you and Danny. Hopefully we will be heading that way before the summer is over. I enjoy B&B's. love, Uncle Tino & Aunt June

    ReplyDelete