Wednesday, May 19, 2010

hello, green

Goodbye key lime pie green, hello eco-friendly green.  Dan and I are doing our best to be green this summer.  Dan built a compost bin, which is secretly my new favorite thing. I love throwing vegetable scraps into the compost instead of into the trash can.  I really do. 


Here's our compost bin! Dan made it out of scraps of lumber that were in the barn.  We filled the bottom with sticks and branches that had fallen off of trees to help air get in.


This is the site of our future vegetable garden.  We want to plant vegetables and herbs that we can use in breakfasts and just in general for ourselves.


Okay, so this isn't really green, but we did buy it at a yard sale.  And, I love it. Almost as much as I love composting.


We're also trying to buy locally as much as possible.  We found this great store in the neighboring town that sells local and organic foods.  This is some yogurt I bought.  It's local, organic and healthy, although almost like a really thick milk, not so much a yogurt consistency.  I liked it, but I'm not sure I'd serve it to guests.  It would be too much of a gamble.  We also bought a local strawberry jam, which is delicious.  The store sells local, organic maple syrup that is actually less expensive than the maple syrup we've found at the big grocery chains.   Maple syrup is ridiculously expensive.  Seriously.  Maybe our next business venture should be on a maple tree farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment