Tuesday, May 25, 2010

indecision in dining

The bedrooms and bathrooms are coming along.  They're much closer to being ready.  I'm not going to show you any more pictures of them until they're totally completed.  Hopefully the "suspense" will make the final outcome more exciting.  They would be totally done right now, but we are playing a lovely little game that's called try to fix the border between the trim and the walls.  Aka our painter's tape didn't really work, and now we have wall color on the woodwork.  And then, when we try to paint over it, we get woodwork color on the wall. It's a vicious cycle and quite frustrating.

So, instead of thinking about that, I'll daydream about the dining room. But I need your advice.  Those of you who know me, know I can barely pick out what to eat off a menu or what to make out of a cookbook, let alone what color to paint a room. It is still a total blank slate.   White walls, white trim, mismatched furniture. This doesn't help me at all.  I know I need to re upholster the mismatched chairs and paint them all the same color.  But what color? Where do I get fabric from? Would you want a dining room in a bed and breakfast to feel formal or casual?



Does the fact that it's drapery fabric mean I shouldn't use it on chairs?



Multi-Purpose is a better sign, no?

  
this, this or this


  

Love these three from Pottery Barn.



And these from Maine Cottage are unbelievable, but a little out of my price range. Maybe some day...

I want to pick out a fabric and then try to match wall colors from there. I know I tend to lean to blue and green for everything, but I've heard that the color blue can actually suppress appetites, which I obviously don't want. Red and green supposedly promote them...hence why almost all grocery stores and fast food chains feature those colors in their logos.  What do you think?  Which colors would you choose for a dining room? 

3 comments:

  1. I love these fabrics! Look at Better Homes & Gardens for some great dining room ideas!

    http://decoratinggallery.bhg.com/Category.aspx?RoomTypeID=88ace4dc-d4f1-4648-9445-7c211d887ff5&IID=f13a8019-9665-4fc7-9cbe-3d9ba743b1f4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...they are all really great. I'd suggest fabric.com and reprodepot.com too. I love the pink one with the birds. Also love the green scrolly one. I'll do some more research for you. This is my favorite blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the advice!

    i picked out a fabric this weekend at jo-ann's...that's the only fabric store around with a large selection and that doesn't cost a bazillion $$. I don't like the picture of it online, so I hope that when I get it in person (they had to order it for me) I still like it. esp since i can't return it. eeek!

    ReplyDelete