Wednesday, July 21, 2010

zucchini bread

A few days ago, I made a zucchini bread that was both delicious and super easy to make.  The recipe is from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook.  I also liked this recipe, because it calls for 1 zucchini.  I hate when recipes call for 2 cups of something that is not easily measured, because then I have no idea how much of it I need.  One zucchini is pretty straightforward.  Plus, it was pretty convenient, given that I only had one zucchini to use.

Here's how you make it:


Combine all of the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg


Combine all of the wet ingredients in a large bowl and mix well:

1 cup sugar
1 cup finel shredded unpeeled zucchini
1/4 cup cooking oil
1 egg
1/4 tsp finely shredded lemon peel

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Then fold in 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts. 



Pour batter into a greased 8x4x2 inch loaf pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 

Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack.  Remove bread from pan and continue to cool.  The recipe says to store it overnight before serving...we did this, because we were serving it to guests the next morning. But I don't really understand why it's necessary or why you would want to wait if you're just making it for yourself.

Of course, I forgot to take an after picture and we have already eaten it all.  But, take my word for it; it was good!  Well, I guess even if I'd shown you a picture, you'd still have to take my word about how it tasted...wouldn't it be cool if I could send you tasting samples via the Internet?

No comments:

Post a Comment