Friday, July 30, 2010

dos hike-os

So, on my last post, where I wrote a list of things I'd like to do this summer, I figure I'll go back and cross things off of that list as I accomplish them.  Well, the only thing I've done so far off of the list is try two new hikes in the last week.  Unfortunately, since I wrote "try a new hike every week," I'm not really in a position to cross it off the list.  Bummer.  More than writing lists, I like crossing things off of them.


Lucky for you, I'm going to tell you about these hikes anyway.  The only hike Dan and I had done, prior to last week, was up Mount Battie.  While this is a pretty awesome hike (especially when you factor in the view from the top), it is rather steep and also rather short.  And, sometimes you just like to try something new.

So, on Tuesday, Dan and I did the Maiden's Cliff hike.  You can see the summit of Maiden's Cliff from Megunticook Lake, which is located in Camden.  At the summit, there is a big white cross which marks the place where a girl fell from the cliffs to her death in the 1860s.










This hike was pretty neat.   The view from the top was awesome and conveniently, we were right across the street from the lake when we got to the bottom, which allowed for a quick dip to cool off.  It only took us about 20-30 minutes to summit Maiden's Cliff and the trail itself is a mile long, so I was hoping that our next hike would take a bit longer.

Luckily for me, my friend Celeste and her boyfriend Erik arrived that night.  On Wednesday, they took us to hike up Mount Megunticook.  It took about an hour, maybe an hour and a half, to summit it. When you're almost to the top, there's a great lookout point that overlooks Mount Battie and the harbor.  The summit itself is enclosed by trees, so the lookout is a pretty nice feature of the hike.










So far, so good on the hiking front.  Hopefully, I'll be able to convince Dan to try another, longish hike with me next week.  I think if I take him to the Camden Snowbowl (Camden's ski hill), I might be able to convince him to go. You'll just have to tune in next week to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment