Monday, June 14, 2010

breakfast number two

Breakfast number two was a success.  We made a fresh fruit salad with mangoes, kiwi, watermelon, blueberries, apples and bananas.  I topped it with some muy delicioso greek yogurt and a few chopped pecans.  The light start means there were much richer things to come...


...eggs Benedict, obviously!  I was really nervous about making this, because, as I know from previous egges Benedict attempts, it can fall apart really quickly.  The most difficult aspect of making eggs Benedict is the timing. You have to have the English muffins, the Canadian bacon, the Hollandaise sauce and the poached eggs hot and done all at approximately the same time.  Oh, and of course I threw in home-fries too, to add just one more thing to think about and not burn. I think the best/only remedy for this is practice, practice, practice.


So, I followed none other than Pioneer Woman's recipe for blender Hollandaise; making it in a blender is MUCH easier than trying to make it in a double boiler.  I mean light-years easier.  If light-years easier is even something you could be. Ours ended up a little thick at first, but it still tasted really good and there was plenty of it to go around.  If there can ever be plenty Hollandaise sauce.  I think it is so delicious that I would eat it at every meal, everyday, if only it weren't made of butter and egg yolk.


Also, Pioneer Woman says something about how she prefers eggs that are poached in boiling water not in an egg poacher, because they don't look so perfect.  I agree; I really like the organic look of eggs poached in boiling water, but I just can't do it! I've tried and I have a really hard time guaranteeing that the eggs will make it out at the right time, that the yolks wont break upon contact, that they wont spread out all over the place.  If I were just making eggs Bene for myself, this would probably be okay.  But since I'm making it for guests, I need the assurance that an egg poacher provides.  Hopefully the dish will be delicious enough that guests wont notice the too-perfect poached eggs.  Especially when they cut the egg open and the bright yellow yolk runs out and mixes with the light yellow Hollandaise.  Mmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment