Friday, June 25, 2010

Florence's Room and Bathroom: Before and After

Here are the pics!

BEFORE:

Uh-oh.  We never took a before picture of the bedroom.   Although it didn't really look bad.  It was always my favorite room in the house and I actually inherited this bedroom set when my grandmother died, because I liked it so much when I was little.  I thought it was a bedroom set fit for a princess. Seriously.  Don't you wish you'd been my friend when I was 8?

Here's the only before pic I can find.  It was actually taken a few years ago and for this picture the room had been set up nicely for a real estate photo shoot.  You do get a sneak peak into the old bathroom and can check out that wall to wall carpeting, which you'll notice is now gone.  Anyway, not bad, right?  I actually really like the wallpaper; I think it's very bed and breakfast-y.


AFTER:


I love that trap door! I think we should put something really exciting behind it, so guests can find it when they're snooping!  Or what if something popped out at you? Haha, that would be hilarious.  For me, anyway.


Don't you think princesses would want to sit at this vanity and try on their tiaras?  I certainly did.  Is that too creepy to write?  Hmm... 


If you look closely, there's even a little crown on that bowl.  Maybe I should move it to the vanity.


My grandmother was obsessed with Reader's Digest, hence the books.  At least, I think she was obsessed.  We never talked about it and I don't actually remember seeing her read one, but they were always all over the house.  And I mean, who buys Reader's Digest hardcover if they aren't obessesed, right?


Here's a good glimpse of what lay beneath the carpet.  It's the original wide, pine floorboards!  Aren't they pretty?  They're in different shades of stain (underneath that throw rug is not as pretty), but I think that's actually kind of neat.  Also, do you see those bricks? Those are/were a hearth.  Apparently all of the rooms had fireplaces back in the day, but they have been covered up in the bedrooms.  Such a shame.  If we were living here longer/had more money and time, I would totally try to unearth them.


The window in the picture above looks out onto this:


Downtown! That's how close we are...really, really close.


I know this picture looks crooked, but it is hanging on the wall straight.  I'm just a bad photographer.  Anyway, for some reason, I love this painting. 


Also, I love these shade pulls.  We bought new shades for all of the bedroom windows and I asked the saleswoman if she knew where I could buy new shade pulls.  She actually said that they don't make them anymore and that people come into the store all the time asking her for some.  I'll be holding on to them.  



Okay, and the bathroom BEFORE:






byebye fake tile and wallpaper, hello...AFTER:


We painted the walls a bright blue and installed new wainscoting.  The fake tiles were showing their years of ware and tare and water splashing.  The wainscoting is made for bathrooms, so splashes wont hurt it.  We also painted the clawfoot tub a glossy black.  I think that's my favorite part of the room.



Isn't this old sink cool? I like the drain.


Cat painting replaced with black and white trees.  Don't worry, I hung the cat painting in my bedroom.


I love the old key. 


Those towels in the background are embroidered with the letter G. 










And this final one is across the upstairs hallway into the other room. 

That's it.  What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. wow- the bathroom looks awesome! makes me want to come for a visit :) not just to visit the bathroom... i mean, the other rooms make me want to visit, too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me ache to think about how much work you've done. On the other hand, I did it at your age and loved it (great way to lose weight while eating everything in sight), and the reward is how wonderful it looks now. What a great job you've done!!!
    Lynsey's GG

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS Those hardback Reader's Digests were very inexpensive when your grandmother bought them, and they are/were perfect for guests who forgot to bring a book. Everyone had them - I think sometimes they were free if you bought something else. Kind of like the Captain Midnight decoder ring :)
    Happy summer Kristin and Dan, GG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! Gaga--love the info on the Reader's Digest books---so interesting! Also, yes it is the perfect way to loose weight and eat EVERYTHING...I'm just afraid of what will happen now that we're done renovating. Uhoh. I'd better start eating more salads again

    ReplyDelete