Monday, June 28, 2010

on a mission: popovers

After visiting the Jordan Pond House, my newest mission in life is to make popovers that rival theirs.  It's a pretty lofty goal, I know.  I mean, I should probably take on rocket science next. In all seriousness though, if you've ever had the popovers at JPH, you'll know I have a lot to live up to.  For my first attempt, I used the recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook.

First, preheat the oven to 400. Then, grease or spray your popover pan or six 6 oz custard cups and place it on a 15x10x1 inch baking sheet.

Then mix 2 beaten eggs with 1 cup of milk and 1 tbs of cooking oil:


Next add 1 cup of flour and 1/4 tsp of salt:


Whisk the batter until smooth and fill the cups half way:



Bake for 40 minutes (ugh so long! such torture!) and prick the top with a fork as soon as you take them out of the oven:


Then serve them hot with something delicious, like Gordon Ramsay's scrambled eggs (did I mention I'm obsessed?) or just with butter and jam.  Yum.


While these popovers turned out quite well, I still don't think they're my rival to the JPH's version.  I'll just have to keep testing new ways to make them...twist my arm, huh?  I think the biggest problem with these popovers is that even though I thoroughly sprayed the popover pan, they still stuck to the bottom.  Bummer.

p.s. can you tell it was me taking the pictures this time and not Dan? haha, sorry!

2 comments:

  1. There's a popover recipe in the Waite family cookbook! I think stolen directly from Jordan Pond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the heads up! i'll be checking that out promptly.

    ReplyDelete