Saturday, August 14, 2010

a little bit of art

Everybody needs a little bit of art in their lives.  And I just want to share with you a couple of places I've found that make it affordable.  You may have already heard of them, and if that's the case, then just consider this to be a little reminder and look at the following pretty pictures.

First up, we have this letter "e" heading my post today. The "e" is made by Jessica Hische. And is part of her project called Daily Drop Cap, where she creates a new letter for bloggers to use in their blogs every day! Scrolling through the letters is pretty exciting. Jessica does some pretty incredible design/typography/illustration work and I would highly recommend that you check out her website to be inspired/become depressed about your lack of artistic talent (at least that's what happened to me).

Next, my little tour will take you to Wallblank.  Every week, they post a new print for a pretty good price. Plus, they always have a cool collection of vintage prints available.  I'm not a huge fan of this week's print, but I will show you some of my favorites of their vintage prints:


Keep Your Teeth Clean, by Unknown



Potato Trucks, by Jack Delano (yes, that's in Maine!)


Chicago Varnish, by Unknown, from the Library of Congress Archives. 


Wildlife, by Frank Nicholson


See America/Welcome to Montana by Richard Halls (top) and M. Weitzman (bottom)

The last stop on our internet tour today takes us to 20x200.  This online shop, started by Jen Bekman, whose mission it is to make art affordable for everyone, sells limited edition prints for anywhere from $20 to $2,000.  The artists make the most prints of the smallest size, which sells for $20, as the sizes get bigger, the number of prints gets smaller and the price tag goes up. Got it?  Here are a few of the prints I wouldn't mind to seeing on my wall:


7-sided, by Joe Kievitt


Kite Hill, by Paul Octavious


Dandelion Clothesline, Santiago Chile, by William Lamson


The Gardens, by Tyson Anthony Roberts


132 Birds at the Museum of Natural History, by Jason Polan

And this concludes our art tour for the day.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment