Sunday, August 29, 2010

a saturday with mom




Colorful and delicious Farmer's Market finds were followed by a trip to the Finish Heritage House.  My grandmother's parents came here from Finland and Sweden in the early 1900's and settled in Thomaston, Maine (a 20 minute drive from Camden).  The mid-coast of Maine was a popular destination for Scandinavian immigrants as the landscape was very reminiscent of their homeland.




The above two pictures are of the students at the one room school house my grandmother attended.  That's good ol' Florence fourth from the left in the middle row in the big picture and centered in the bottom picture.  Doesn't she look like a little stinker??  Haha, I love the look on her face.  

Finnish culture is still prominent in the area today.  My mom bought me a cookbook filled with Finnish recipes that have been passed down through the generations.  They remind me so much of what my grandmother used to cook for us when we'd visit her in Camden.  I am especially excited to try out these recipes because so many of my memories of my grandmother revolve around food.  I always wish I had taken the time to learn recipes from her before she passed away, but at least with this cookbook I can tell myself that she probably would have taught me similar recipes.

We continued on our trek through the coastal outskirts of Camden.  We were on the search for a poorly advertised estate sale and stumbled across many beautiful vistas on our way.



The sign is covered in names of towns in Maine.  Kind of cute, huh?  I'm not sure if all states have such interesting (aka bizarre) nomenclature, but in Maine, you'll find many towns with international names like Paris, China, Norway, Peru, Sweden, Egypt...There are famous signs around Maine that feature all of these crazy town names.   That orange crush sign is totally unrelated, but still totally phenomenal.

Then we came home and waited for guests to arrive.  Way for work to put a damper on a fun day.  Oh well, I guess that's life!

No comments:

Post a Comment