Saturday, August 7, 2010

whoa. (cheddar jalapeno rolls)

I don't know if this is the best or worst thing to ever happen to me, but I'm going to tell you about it regardless.

Dan and I ran out of cinnamon rolls last weekend.  And we needed to make more.  And, while to this day Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls are one of the most delicious things I have ever made, I wasn't that excited about the prospect of having 50 more of them sitting around. You see, I am a savory person.  Or, well, I prefer salty foods to sweet, I guess.  Maybe saying I'm a savory person means I taste salty, which isn't really the point I'm trying to convey...anyway, give me salt, I love it.   So, when Dan suggested that we make half of the batch the traditional cinnamon rolls and the other half cheddar jalapeno rolls, well, I just about fainted.  Brilliant.  Absolutely brilliant.

Um.  Make these.  They will blow your mind.  In the words of Rachel Zoe, "I die." Haha, I really might...Dan might kill me for saying that.  (Side note #1 of this post: Dan does noooo like that show.  I, on the other hand, love it.  Dan likes to make snide remarks whenever I watch it and I tell him that comments from the peanut gallery are neither appreciated nor encouraged and that he can go do something better with his time if he doesn't want to watch it. That usually shuts him up.)

Do I need to say it again? Make these.  They will blow your mind.


So, you make the dough the same way as you would for regular Pioneer Woman cinnamon rolls, but once you've rolled out the first batch of it, instead of adding cinnamon and sugar, you add the following ingredients:

1/2 to 1 cup of melted butter (whatever thoroughly coats the dough) this part is in the original recipe
4 cups of grated sharp cheddar cheese (yes 4 cups, trust us) I never said they were healthy, okay?  That is why they might be both the best and the worst thing to ever happen to me. 
1/2 cup (or more depending on how hot you like your food) canned jalapenos , finely chopped (maybe a bit less if they're fresh)...the most important part is that they're chopped into small pieces so the heat can be evenly distributed throughout the roll.  We found that ours were only hot in places and totally not hot in others.  
Salt and pepper to taste (do this before rolling up the dough)
more jalapenos to put on top of each roll. I recommend at least one, if not ten.

Continue with Ree's recipe as usual.


Aside from these being so absurdly delicious that Dan and I ate an entire dish of them in one sitting (and then felt sick, whoops, consider this fair warning), there is something that gets me even more excited about the prospect of making them again: the possibilities! Now that we've made these, I realize we could make them with any number of ingredients and they'd still be delicious.  Why hadn't I thought of this before?! Why hasn't the Pioneer Woman thought of it? (Maybe she has, but is keeping it to herself.)  You could make them with mozzarella, pepperoni, and basil.  Or cheddar and broccoli and ham.  Or artichokes and sundried tomatoes and feta.  Really the possibilities are endless and all so mouthwatering.  What about figs and blue cheese and walnuts with a drizzle of honey on top? Or mozzarella and prosciutto and pesto instead of butter? (Side note #2: my spell check is trying to get me to change prosciutto to prostitute. Is there some food vocabulary spell check I can download?) Or a vegetarian one with roasted red peppers and spinach and maybe some fancy kind of mushroom and fontina?  Really anything.  It could actually be a really cool way to free your fridge of leftovers. Okay, I'll stop now...

When 50 new cinnamon rolls seemed overwhelming, I find myself suddenly wishing that I could make 50 more with these new combinations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment