Monday, August 2, 2010

there is a house

There is a house for sale in my hometown that's quite a show stopper and has been featured as inspiration on some of the blogs I read.  Now, obviously, if somebody wanted me to live here, I wouldn't complain, but at the same time, I'm a bit torn about whether or not I like the decor.  Let me give you a tour and let you decide for yourself:
I mean, holy cow, just look at that property.  That view is pretty increidble. Could it get any better? Actually, yes it could, check out the view from this angle:
Yup.  That's a view of Portland Headlight, only one of the most photographed lighthouses in the world.  You know, and it's just hanging out outside your living room. Now that is incredible.  

So yes, given just the two pictures featured above, I am in love with this house.  Even if it is suffering from a bit of a steroid addiction.  If I owned it, I'd let everyone I know come and live in it (okay, maybe not everyone, but a lot of people), so I wouldn't feel lonely.  I bet I could even get lost in there! 

So, the house is for sale, but the thing is, everyone keeps talking about how well it's decorated, and that, my friends, is where the blog world and I disagree.
Take this master bedroom, for example.  Yawn.  I don't know if they tried to make it look impersonal to make it easier to sell, but for such a grand house, this bedroom is so...vanilla.  (I really like vanilla too.)  Really though, carpet? A serious lack of any color, and look at all of that space! Who needs that much space between their bed and their absurdly huge non-flats creen tv.  I mean, come on, if you live in a $4 million house, I'm pretty sure you can afford a flat screen.


Now, don't let the view distract you! Don't do it! Okay, you can, but just for a minute, and then focus on the room.  Why isn't that table round? Why do those chairs look so uncomfortable?  And I get that granite is cool and all, but it makes this table look so impersonal. I just want some warmth.
Another room that's not really inspiring me...well, other than the view. Where the bedroom was empty, this room is so crowded! And the furniture looks teeny too. I don't know, it just leaves me wanting something more. 

Now, there are a few redeeming qualities on the inside of this house.  Here's the first one:
Holy cow that fireplace is AWESOME! It's so big! And so...stone! I would for sure surround it with big comfy couches and put a way more colorful/warm painting above it.  This room has so much potential.



Now, in general, I'm not a huge fan of dark moulding.  It looks so formal and intimidating, but it also has a regal air about it and if ever there was a house that demanded something regal, I'm pretty sure this one was it.  I really like the exposed beams in the ceiling too.  I'd be tempted to paint the moulding white, or some other color and top it with a vibrant, but classic wallpaper to make this hallway more fun/airy, but I'd also be worried about losing the integrity of the woodwork if I were to do such a thing. 


Finally we have the kitchen.  Again, I feel like in a house as grand as this one, it's a bit of a let down.  But it does have nice bones.  I do like white cabinets and I like that they're trying to pull off a vintage feel with the hardware. I just think the kitchen looks too busy, the hardware is too square and it contrasts too much with the cabinets.  All I see when I look at this space are black spots. I wish the countertops were granite all the way around and not just on the island....maybe they could take the granite off of that unfortunate table in the breakfast nook and replace a counter? Ha, juuust kidding. But there is certainly potential here for something wonderful.


Anyway, I just wanted to share this house with you.  If you don't agree with me about the interior, then it's pretty exciting to look at.  And even if you do agree that the interior could do with a little re-vamping, the house itself is still unbelievable. Plus if you could afford to buy the house, you could probably afford the interior designer to go with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment