Thursday, August 12, 2010

lobstering: part 2

Okay, I'm just going to warn you that I have no filter when it comes to selecting which pictures to show you and which ones to leave out.  I can't really tell which pictures might be interesting to you and which will make you yawn, because, well, I like them all. (Minus the ones where my eyes are closed or my chin has multiplied, of course.)


This is the view we woke up to at 5:15 in the morning.  Even though the colors are beautiful, I was initially kind of bummed, because I thought the fog was hiding the sunrise from our view.  But no, oh no, we were just up too early.  The sun hadn't actually come over the horizon yet...just goes to show you how many sunrises I've seen.



There it is, just a sliver on the horizon.








After the sun rose, we headed across the island to south beach.  Along the way we checked out some old towers that were constructed to spot German submarines during WWII and the ruins of other buildings on the island.


Here's Dan checking out the spectacular view from about 8 stories up in the submarine viewing tower. 







There is a whole network of underground tunnels on the island.  I'm not sure how far into them you can go.  We only had time to just poke our heads in, as we couldn't miss our meeting with the lobster boat.  I would love to go back with a head lamp and more time on my hands and really explore these ruins.  They're quite fascinating.  There are similar ruins in Cape Elizabeth at Fort Williams, however, they're all blocked off. Growing up my imagination would run wild about what was behind the boarded up entrances,  so being able to actually enter the ruins on Jewell Island was kind of like a dream come true for me. 








Next we scoured south beach for sea glass and other treasures until it was time to head back to our campsite, pack up and meet the lobster boat...to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment