Saturday, September 4, 2010

Epic Mix is cray cray

Check out what's happening at Vail this winter:



Watch the video here: http://www.snow.com/EpicMix/Home.aspx

I'm not sure how I feel about it.  I think it's kind of cool; I think it's kind of Big Brother. Mostly I think it's just a lot of lame propaganda.  Vail loves to be "innovative" and on top of all things "hip." (I am reminding myself of Dr. Evil.)   And there is nothing more hip than social media right now.  But really, Vail is just following this already very mainstream trend. Yeah, no other mountains are doing this yet, and I'm sure there's no better way to advertise than to get people to promote your product essentially for free via social media. It's just that the overarching theme of people knowing where you are at all times kinda creeps me out. There. I said it. I'm sorry I'm a hater.

However, (yes, there is a but) I do like the fact that it keeps track of vertical feet and days skied.  These could be pretty fun features to check on a regular basis. And I can see the virtues of Epic Mix if you're a Denverite traveling to the mountains with a group of friends for the weekend or if you're an overprotective mom.  But when you and half of your friends live and ski in Vail, it could become a bit overwhelming.  Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment