Friday, September 3, 2010

summer heat, parto dos

The other good thing about this late summer heat is that our garden seems to be loving it...even though I'm hating watering the garden right now.

















We ended up having to pick some of those green tomatoes.  They weighed so much that they snapped the branches on which they were growing.  It's the perfect excuse to make fried green tomatoes. (And force Dan to watch the movie with me??)

Oh, and that morning glory in the top picture? There's a story, or really a lack of a story behind it.  I really, I mean really, really wanted morning glories.  I wanted them to go around the sign post for the b&b.  I have a soft spot for morning glories.  Unfortunately, they need a lot of direct morning sunlight, which that sign just does. not. get.  I wanted morning glories so badly, I debated whether or not to chop down the tree in the front yard, just so the sign could get more sun.  Obviously, I decided against that and figured I would just forgo morning glories.  There will be future gardens with more sun, I told myself.

Lo and behold, in the back yard, a vine started to grow one day.  And it kept growing and growing.  I couldn't really tell where it was coming from; it didn't match my other plants.  But since I have a hard time distinguishing weeds from plants, I just let it keep going.  Until one day, to my wonder and delight, it bloomed.  And it's a morning glory!  I didn't plant it.  Dan didn't plant it. My mom didn't plant it.  Nobody knows how it got there.  It just magically grew.  It's my favorite of all the plants. I love seeing its beautiful, mysterious blooms every morning when I look out the kitchen window.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kristen! I've been stalking your blog for a while now but I can't comment from work (stupid firewall) so I haven't been able to tell you how great it is! Good work. I just posted a couple pictures of Jessie's printer drawer on my blog so you can see it. www.inquirydept.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete